Sunday, February 26, 2012

Spicy Tanagers

If Wikipedia can be believed, Saffron finches are not really finches at all.  They're tanagers.  Saffron Tanager doesn't sound as good as Saffron Finch, but for accuracy maybe we should change the name.  They do look a lot like our Western Tanagers actually.  In any case, they're one of my favorite terrible species here in Hawaii.  In other words, I would probably exterminate them long after Northern Cardinals or House Sparrows.  Why are they called Saffron?  The color?  Or do they taste super good?  Saffron does not cost as much as gold, by the way.  That's just an urban legend.  I think it's pretty expensive, but nowhere near gold price.  I am currently in a heated Portuguese Horseshoes game and must leave.




This was the flashiest one I saw today.




This really reminds me of Hoth.  But it's really just the top of Mauna Kea.  There are Imperial Walkers up there. 


1 comment:

  1. It's really too bad that neither Saffron Finch nor Western Tanager are actually tanagers.

    ReplyDelete