Friday, March 2, 2012

Phoebes Are Hard To Identify

Today a man who will remain nameless told the birding community in SF that there was an Eastern Phoebe in the Presidio.  I decided to go to the Presidio to investigate further.  Instead of an incredibly rare and awesome Eastern Phoebe, I found a very standard and underwhelming Say's Phoebe.  Oh well, some people have trouble with phoebes I suppose.  Life is pain.  I also tried the San Francisco gull flocks for a Glaucous, but had no luck.  It was fun to study all of the Western, Glaucous-winged, and Mew Gulls though.  After that, I went to Fort Mason to look for a supposed Orchard Oriole that another nameless man reported recently.  I don't know what's going on in San Francisco lately, but it seems as though bird identification standards have dropped significantly in San Francisco.  I hope that this is a fleeting phenomenon.  I don't want to see this trend continue.  By the way, it's good to be back home.




I guess i saw a Yellow-shafted Flicker today.  It was a good consolation for the fake Eastern Phoebe.


This may be the first ever Red-shouldered Hawk for TPAD.  Do you like?



1 comment: